frequently asked questions about Nickel Plating
Here are common FAQs about Nickel Plating
- What is process of Nickel Plating ?
- What are different types of equipments & fittings which can be plated?
- Can Nickel Plated pipe spools be welded at site?
- Is the coating process hot process or cold process?
- Does the Nickel Plating call for heat treatment after the plating process?
- What are the different materials that can be plated with nickel?
- What is the average thickness of coating?
- What is the surface finish required prior to coating
- What are the normal test carried out on the nickel plated components?
- Does stress reliving of Spools effect the Nickel Plating?
Nickel Plating is carried out by the process of Electro Plating.
Pipes, Elbows, Weldolets, Flanges, Reducers, Pipe Caps can be Nickel Plated.
Nickel plated Pipe Spool can be welded at site provided the site joint is preplanned and is duly prepared by internal weld overlaying for a distance of atleast 50 mm from proposed weld seam before Nickel Plating. At site nominal length adjustment for fitment can be done & taken up for site welds using qualified WPS. However Random length cutting of pipe spools & welding is not possible.
Electro Plating process is carried out at Room temperature however subsequent heat treatment is carried out after Nickel Plating.
Nickel Plating requires S.R at 190-200 OC after Nickel plating for 120 minutes.
All C.S materials like SA 106, SA 105, SA 516 and LAS materials like SA 387, SA 335, SA 182 Gr.F11, F12 etc can be nickel plated.
Average thickness of coating depends on the specification of the job; however we can provide thickness upto 400 microns.
Prior to coating the substrate has to be blasted with Grit to remove dirt, mill scale and loose material.
The following tests are carried out post Nickel Plating of Pipes, Fittings & Spools a. Bending Test (ASTM 689, ASTM B571) b. Porosity Test (ASTM 689) c. Peel Of Test (ASTM 689) d. Thickness measurement
NO - stress relieving at temperature of 720oC post welding to make spools, does not affect the Nickel Plating.
World-class nickel plating
We make custom-manufactured nickel plating to meet unique requirements of your processes.Learn More
Crystal's nickel plating offer extensive documentation and process information.Learn More
Common Questions about nickel plating
Check out the frequently asked questions about nickel plating answered here.Learn More
Global Support for nickel plating
Crystal's team of engineers offer global support for our nickel plating, anywhere in the world.Learn More